The Mountain Prophecy: Chapter 1


"RUN! Run as fast as you can!"

Yelled momma, in sheer terror."You must make it to the mountains! That is the safest place for you, look for good shelter!" I had no idea what was really happening at the time, except for the fact that momma was yelling. My momma never raised her voice. I hugged my momma tight as she told me:"I will find you. Don't leave the mountains unless you have to. 
"I love you momma!" I sobbed, and ran into the woods.
Suddenly, I heard a loud explosion of sound as my home was devoured by flame.
I didn't look back after that.
                                                 මමමමමමමමමම
I was only 5 at that time, now I'm-finally- 14.  I still had not found a village, but I had relatively good shelter. Momma had told me to endure, and stay in the mountains. I'd grown to love it here, but I still missed my village and my momma. 
   As I walked along the little stream next to my cave, I spied a berry bush ripe with the first berries of spring. I ran back to my cave to grab my elk-skin pouch-I had learned a few things from travelers over the years- so I could gather the berries.
    I filled my pouch, then went back to my cave to cook my supper. The berries would taste delicious with the last of the rabbit stew! I could not wait to devour my supper.
     Just as I was starting to eat, I heard a rustling outside my door. I got up to see what it was.
  "Hello old friend!" someone called. "My brother went  to hunt with a friend of his, so I thought I would pay you a visit."
    Of course! It was Cooper. I came out of the bushes.
     "Hel-lo Coo-per," I said haltingly. I had not had company for a very long time. Cooper looked like he had been pondering something. I motioned for him to come inside. As we sat down at the table, he was able to elicit some words from me.
Crafty Cooper.
                                              මමමමමමමමමමම

The next morning I was up early cooking for me and Cooper. He had yet to wake up, because I had decided to let him sleep so he would have energy for his long journey back. I don't remember why Reader, but I kept looking over at where he was sleeping, as if he would suddenly disappear. When I looked over again, he was sitting up and groggily rubbing his eyes.
"Mor-ning Coo-per," I said.
"Morning boy," said he. "I see you've catered in some meat for us!"
"What's cay-turd?" I asked. Cooper told me, and then we sat down to eat breakfast. I asked him to tell me stories about his village while we ate. He told me  about his little mountain top village, and how when the sun came up, it was the most spectacular sight in the world. He told me about all the little's running around, smelling the sweet mountain flowers. 
I was enthralled. Never had I heard of sights like these! I had seen the sunset, I told him, because our village faced the west.
Cooper told me about wedding traditions, how the bride's mother and Aunt adorn her hair with flowers, and drape her shoulders with cloth. He told me many stories of his village, and I wanted to go there so badly!
"Hey there, settle down," said Cooper. "whats gotten you all excited?" He looked very puzzled.
"Cooper, I wish to go with you to your village."
"What? " he replied, astonished. "but you have this amazing cave, and you want to leave?"
"Yes. I have not had a home for 9 years. I want to live with other people again." 
Cooper just shook his head.
"No boy, I can't bring you, my village would be upset. We have rules, you know. And you don't even have a name."
"You know full well why I don't have a name!" I yelled. In my former village, you don't get a name till age 6. I ran away when I was 5.
Cooper waited for my anger to abate.
"Alright boy, I will give you a map to my village. You may not come with me, because I will get in trouble. Come only when you are packed up.
"Oh yes Cooper!" I said excitedly, not thinking to ask why. I didn't care. I would have a home!


Comments

  1. This is AMAZING!!!! SO excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I finish writing it, and it gets aproved. There will be other blog posts before the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! When you wrote "devoured by flame", I thought was a really great verb!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts