Beautiful Defiance- The Second Installment


Handwriting, Sütterlin, Vintage, Antique, FontThe 29th of April, 1400
                      Kilkenny Castle 
Kilkenny, Leinster


To Eoin Byrne,
I was helping my father, King James, with his mail a couple of weeks ago and saw that you wrote your father’s letter. It intrigued me. You see, I do not have a good relationship with my father, and was wondering what it was like. Maybe you could enlighten me? 
I also noticed that you are a blacksmith’s son, and yet, you know how to write. Where did you learn, and who taught you? That person must have been an amazing teacher. 
I have one more question for you- In your father’s last letter (I almost wrote your letter, excuse me) you wrote that you would be coming to the castle with him to work for my brother, The crown prince of Kilkenny. It is almost my brother Fionn’s birthday, and I would like to get him a new set of arrows for hunting. Would you be willing to craft these for me in secret? This correspondence must be a secret also, you see, or my brother will suspect something.
Thank you very much,
Princess Blaine of Kilkenny 




The 1st of May, 1400
                                                                                                    1258 Smithee Street
Kilkenny City, Kilkenny, Leinster
To The Princess Blaine de Butler
I would be honored to help you with your brother’s birthday surprise. How about we set up a meeting a week from now? May 7th? You can send a servant for me- that way it will be more discreet.
As for your other questions- I love my father very much. I look to him for answers to many things and I trust him. What is your relationship like with your father?
You have a very good eye, Princess. My teacher was an amazing person, but she died when I was very young. I don’t remember much about her.
I have one question for you, Your Highness.
Why did you reach out to me and not my father?


Signed,

Eoin Byrne


The 9th of May, 1400
Kilkenny Castle, 
Kilkenny City, Leinster
To Eion Byrne,
I can’t stop thinking about our meeting two days ago. You seemed very excited about the opportunity to create something. And to add to that, you are excited to create something for someone! That sparks a flame in me…
My favorite thing is to help the people in my city. I have previously commissioned a hospital for my people, one that will be able to help even the poorest people here in Kilkenny. But this hospital doesn’t have a very good defense system, and that is mostly because the people guarding it are not outfitted nicely. I’m talking about no armor at all. 
Maybe you could bring up this topic with your father? Cautiously? I am not sure how you would be able to bring it up without letting him know that I have written to you. Maybe all I can say is good luck?
Anyway, I would like to keep up this correspondence. I don’t really have anyone to talk to except my brother Fionn, and there are just some things I don’t need him to know about. (Like his birthday, for example.)
Speaking of his birthday, I would like to cordially invite you to Prince Fionn’s 17th Birthday Party, to be hosted at Kilkenny Castle Gardens, at 3:00 p.m. on  17, May, 1400. Please respond as soon as possible.
Signed,
Princess Blaine de Butler


                              15, May, 1400
1258 Smithee Street
Kilkenny City, Kilkenny Leinster
Princess Blaine,
I’m not so sure I should accept your invitation.
Here is why:
I am not born of royalty or nobility. There would be no place for me at an extravagant event like a prince’s birthday party.
 I am grateful for your invitation, but cannot accept it.
Signed,
Eion Byrne

P.S. You never explained outright why you reached out to me and not my father. 



Comments

Popular Posts