Forgotten Letters- The 8th Installment

Stack Letters, Letter, Handwriting

8 August, 1400

The Abandoned Tower

My dear Eoin,

Hearing you speak those three words really made my heart soar. You do love me.  But how long can we keep this a secret? I understand that It could jeopardize your job. But I will walk by your forge every day and look at you working and I won’t be able to keep my eyes off you. And if you happen to look up and catch me staring, you might smile back. (Not that that is a bad thing.) I am just worried about the servants or someone who is close to my father will find out and tell him something is going on between his daughter and the blacksmith. Maybe we have to keep our glances to a minimum. As much as I hate writing that, I know we need to be careful. At least we have the tower. Maybe we can meet there as well. I will  be delivering this letter there myself. I won’t trust this in anyone else’s hands. 

Please be careful Eoin. 

I love you,

Blaine




12, August, 1400

The Abandoned Tower

My Blaine

I agree we need to be careful. I am honestly quite glad my father moved on to a new town a few months ago. He might have suspected something by now. Anyway.

I intend to be as secretive as possible, but I can’t lose my job. I have been renting a room at the inn for a while now, and would like to buy my own place. I’ve saved up a bit and I think I can afford a good house. 

I might need your help decorating it. You have better taste than me!

With Love

Eoin





15, August, 1400

Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny City, Leinster

To Eoin Byrne

I have noticed that since you have been here, my daughter Blaine has been much more joyful. Do you know why that is? 

I am sure you are wondering why I am writing to you. Someone in my castle staff have noticed that you and Princess Blaine have had a correspondence. As you may know, she has tried to keep all of this information from me. But I wanted to know why she was so happy. She hasn’t been happy in that way since I had her best friend killed two years ago . I believed that she was whispering conspiracies and hearsay into her brain. You see why we couldn’t keep her. 

But I fear that my daughter has not been the same since her death.  But what she doesn’t understand was that it was for her own good. 

Now, I can tell that you have made an impact on her life. I would like to know why.  Please tell me, or I might be forced to have you removed from the equation. I don’t mean just your job.

Do not try to contact my daughter again.

Signed,

King James Butler, Fourth Earl of Ormond




18 August, 1400

The Abandoned Tower

My Blaine,

I have bad news.

Your father contacted me a couple days ago, and told me that I am to cut off all contact with you. He also told me that he killed your best friend two years ago. He said that he had her killed because he thought that your friend was whispering hearsay at you. That knocked me backward a bit. Your father is more ruthless than all the people say. I better be more careful.

I think we can keep putting these in ‘our place’ and we will be safe, at least for a while. Read them there, then destroy them. It’s not safe to have them in the palace.

Be very, very careful Blaine. I don’t want anything to happen to you. I love you more than anything.

Yours forever,

Eoin


Comments

Popular Posts